Interview with a Seller: Tiffany Addington

It's Thursday again and I've got another great interview for you! Tiffany is a great crafter and makes the yummiest -looking little treats that you can use for just about anything. Check it out below!

1. What’s your name and shop name and what do you do?


My name is Tiffany Addington and I’m a “Domestic Engineer” aka Glorified Stay at Home Momma and addicted Etsyian. But I wouldn’t change it for the world.

2. Where are you located?

Right now we’re at North Carolina, good ole Fayetteville.

3. What’s the favorite part of your craft?

The versatility of it, clay is such a versatile medium and I love that! I can make a million different things with it!


4. How long have you been crafting?

Crafting in general? Since I was old enough to finger paint, my Grandmother always had awesome crafty activities for us to do growing up, whether it be embroidering a tea towel or making salt dough ornaments.


5. What’s your favorite thing to make?

I love making intricate desserts. My favorite so far has been a lattice topped cherry pie charm that I made using one of the hubby’s tossed bottle caps.

6. What kind of camera do you use to shoot?

I have a Sony Super Steady Shot, I’m camera illiterate so that’s about all I know about it. It does a good job though!

7. Who or what models your items?

I have modeled a few items myself and have had some help from my lovely kiddos. Everytime they see the jewelry organizer come out they want to see it. There’s nothing more gratifying than hearing your 3 year old daughter gasp and say, “Oh Mommy! That’s beautiful!!!”

8. What's the most rewarding part of running your own business?

The most rewarding part is the freedom I have to do what I love doing! I don’t have someone breathing down my neck with deadlines (just bright red ink on the calendar a foot from my face) or telling me how to do something. It really is MY business, I can put myself into it and make it my own.


9. What's the most challenging part of running your own business?

I’m sure 99% of people who run their own business would say the same thing, time management. Sometimes I find myself so absorbed in getting ready for a show that I have to tell myself to step away and be with my family. I’m getting better with it but it still needs some work. One of the best pieces of advice I’ve received so far has been to set hours. I have a block of time set for crafting so if I have a “eureka idea moment” I write it down for later or sketch it out.

10. On average, how many things do you create per week?

I try to do at least 3 or 4, some weeks I do quite a bit if I know I won’t have the time the following week.


11. What inspires you?


Food! I absolutely love cooking, if I’m not crafting or playing with my kids it’s almost guaranteed that I’m either in the kitchen or watching The Cooking Channel. I adore Chuck Hughes!! (ask my husband, he’ll tell you Chuck’s my boyfriend ;) ) Since I can’t share my cooked food with the world just yet I make all of it with clay.


12. Take me thru your creative process.

I’ll get an idea or see a picture of something delicious and if it’s outside of my creative block time I’ll write it down for later. Even though it’s written down somewhere I’ll think about it all day and go through the process in my head for the different techniques it will require or the materials I’ll need to have on hand. When the moments right I jump into my clay and just go from there! After I get all the pieces done I can fit on my parchment paper covered tile I bake them. After they’re baked I gently toss them in a can of ice water to quench them which makes them stronger. Then the next morning (I craft at night after the kids go to bed) I glaze them and finish them whether that be earrings, necklace, whatever the case may be. I try to get them photographed the same day but if I don’t have the time or the sun isn’t permitting then I take photos later.


13. What is your best advice to blossoming crafters?

Even when you feel like no one is looking at your shop or your product keep going! Don’t give up and try not to be too critical of yourself. Remember not to become so obsessed that you burnout. Don’t sell out. Be you! If you make something because you know you’ll love it odds are someone else will love it too. Don’t worry about other crafters who create similar items, competition is a good thing! I know I’m not the first food clay artist and I won’t be the last and that’s OK because I love what I do and so do my customers. I think that’s enough?
 
Thanks for your interview Tiffany! :-) You've got some great advice. If you're interested in checking out Tiffany's etsy shop, it's here!
 
I'm also having a giveaway once my FB subscribers reach 150 - I need your help! What would you like to see given away as a prize? "Like" my page of facebook and leave me a comment to let me know!
 
Follow this blog! :)
Cheers,
Xo, Rachael

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Effectively Sell: Part III - FABG!

The Making of The Babadook Pop Up Book HD

Artists Collective: #4 - Robert Norman Ross