Bombshell Stamps Embroidered Stamping

I'm currently working on my home, upgrading here and there and adding touches that I love. A few weeks back I  installed kitchen cafe curtains (sewed them myself!)

and as a simple decorative touch I added one of those retro three arm towel racks above the sink. 


I found a delicate pillowcase that had embroidery on it that I loved and cut it down to tea towel size.  I've been displaying this on the towel rack ever since.

This also gave me an idea.  Embroidery is cheap, easy and fun (seriously, the floss is practically next to nothing and you can get a whole pack of all sorts of colors at Joann's for less than $10) and, even though I've never done embroidery before, when I was little I did cross stitch, which is kind of the same thing.  Well, I've seen tea towels on etsy that women have embroidered and I absolutely love them. But lets be real - I'm not going to spend $35 plus shipping for a stinking tea towel!  And besides, personal crafts are always better, in my opinion.

So I went to Joann's and got everything that I needed - the wooden ring, some fabric (I purchased a pack of 'stitch 'em ups' which are flour sack tea towels in the big size and then cut them down to the size that I wanted - this way I had fabric left over for whatever I wanted) a book of stitches and easy how-to, embroidery floss and needles. I think all-in-all I only spent like $30-40 bucks.

Next I pulled out my Bombshell Stamps, selected an ink (it didn't matter to me if it was dark or if it was permanent because I was just going to cover the ink anyways) and stamped my image down on the cloth.  I then put the cloth into the ring and began my stitching, using a basic straight stitch or back stitch. Here's how it turned out!



The eyes are a little scary and the back is not as clean as I would like, but I don't think this is too bad for my first try!  I was tempted to cut this down to a 5x7 and stick it in a frame, but I think its better as a tea towel.


What do you think?

I've still got to hem the edges a bit.  I started that the other night with a pink wave design.  I love this design and I love that my sewing machine has so many options! I can even do embroidery with my machine, once I figure out the attachments. Probably not going to happen - I've got so many sewing projects on my table right now.  (Butterick just had a pattern sale!)

Thanks for stopping by! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my upgrades and projects! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Effectively Sell: Part III - FABG!

The Making of The Babadook Pop Up Book HD

Artists Collective: #4 - Robert Norman Ross